The Universal Congregation of the Holy House was founded in 1883 by the bishop of Loreto Mons. Tommaso Gallucci and entrusted to the direction of the Capuchin friars.
In 1884 an agreement was stipulated between Mons. Tommaso Gallucci and the general minister of the Capuchin Order, Fr. Bernardo d'Andermatt, who, in making it known in a letter dated 1 November of that year, declared: "The general minister makes all those who enroll or will enroll in this Congregation participate in perpetuity in all the good works and of the suffrages which, by the mercy of God, are fulfilled in the Capuchin Order ”.
The primary purpose of the Congregation is to promote devotion and knowledge of the Holy House and the decorum of its Sanctuary by any means.
The first director was Fr. Peter from Malaga. His name is written in the annals of the Sanctuary of Loreto for the merits acquired in over twenty years as director of the Universal Congregation of the Holy House.
With him the devotion to the Holy House, after a long stasis for historical events, regained momentum and was promoted in all Catholic countries, with a universalistic vision that still arouses great admiration today. The decoration of the three main chapels of the nations and of the monumental dome is made possible thanks to the tireless activity that revived the devotion to the Madonna of Loreto and her Nazaretan house, procuring substantial offers from all over the world.